Friday, June 15, 2012

Shut UP Han and drive the fucking ship!

I have successfully held my tongue for more than 12 hours to think about my reaction to yesterday's news from Michigan's House of Representatives. It's not that I had to think about what kind of reaction to have, but to analyse my personal feelings and why they hit me like a sledge hammer. Literally, I went from eyebrow quirk to foul, stinking potty mouth in less than a few heart beats as I read the article. I tried to frame it from the perspective of: oh this is the Huffington Post. Well, be that as it may, it didn't matter, by the third or second paragraph, I don't remember which. . . I do remember seeing a red wash start to form in my vision. I found that rather alarming, so I finished the article and turned off the news. Welcome back from your news break right?

I am alarmed that people who are supposed to be mature adults react like sniggling 11 year olds who filched their uncle's nudie mag. for the first time to the word vagina. Or even worse, like an object of disdain and disgust. My Han Solo paranoia voice went further with that thought form and took it as a deliberate strike against women especially since the topic was, after all, women's reproductive rights. You know the voice I am talking about. It's the one who says: I gotta baaad feeling about this.

I am further alarmed that the underlying message is that it's fine to have a fist to cuff on the floor and still speak, but in the defense of reproductive rights women are not allowed to say the word vagina or vasectomy. In fact, the women were accused of having a temper tantrum on the floor and effectively silenced. SILENCED! WHAT THE FUCK ON GAIA'S GREEN EARTH IS GOING ON????!!!!!

I am even further alarmed that they think they can get away with it. In fact, I am betting that they had no idea how many people would be angry about this. I think, they think, they should not only get away with this but be heralded as law jockey heroes. After all, it is the same state that just passed The Julea Ward bill that basically allows you to not help someone because you are a religious bigot. ( see above screaming obscenity.)

My potent reaction came from the understanding that these yahoos are setting the stage for my daughter's rights as a woman to decide whether or not to have a child, whether or not she will have access to good reproductive health care, whether or not that decision will be taken away from her by a religious bigot at the dr's. office or pharmacy because that individual does not believe in birth control because of their religion. ( Shut up, Han, and drive the fucking ship!)

Han's voice only becomes louder at this point: I have no love for the Empire. What part of rights do they not understand? Rights are not something to be argued over. Rights are rights. Period. ( or should I have said menstruation?) They are not available for people to vote upon and deny. They are inalienable. They are given by divinity, regardless of which one you recognize, if you do so at all. So really? Why are we having this debate? What sinister thing do you have going on in the left hand while we are focused on the right?

And by the way, MI lawmakers who go around silencing people,  have a card. . . sorry it's not done yet, I have to go look up vagina in a bunch of other languages just in case English evades your comprehension.



2 comments:

  1. All this stuff scares the hell out of me for my 20 and 22 year-old daughters. They are young, female, not Caucasian, and not Christian. But, they do Vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there's an idea... have a ton of women draw up cards with the word - heck, why not DRAW one - and send them to MI lawmakers...

    ReplyDelete